The professionals who walk our halls, the clients we serve and the organizations we support are evidence of Turner Padget’s commitment to diversity, and our dedication to creating a diverse workforce has long been a foundation of our firm’s success.
With regional, national and international clients, our professionals reflect those we serve. We hire and retain diverse individuals who bring varied talents, backgrounds and life experiences to both the courtroom and the boardroom. We promote diversity in numerous ways:
- Turner Padget maintains a diverse workforce and, through the firm's recruiting efforts, actively seeks to hire attorneys with diverse backgrounds.
- The firm has a formal Diversity Committee which seeks opportunities to enhance and develop the skills and talents of the firm's attorneys, identifies opportunities to work with diverse clients, educates the firm's attorneys and staff on diversity-related issues, and seeks ways to create and maintain an inclusive workforce that values and respects diversity and that is enhanced by openness, trust, teamwork, accountability and involvement.
- Turner Padget hosted a women’s leadership conference for all female attorneys and directors. This was a day-and-a-half retreat focused on leadership issues, achievements and goals for the following year.
- The firm represents Columbia College, a private liberal arts women’s college, and actively supports the college by sponsoring speakers for the Leadership Institute of Columbia College.
- The firm represents Benedict College, a private historically black college (“HBC”), and sponsored the college’s annual Charter Day Scholarship Dinner. Reggie Belcher serves as an adjunct professor at Benedict College.
- Turner Padget is a member and supporter of the South Carolina Diversity Council which promotes and encourages diversity in workplaces throughout South Carolina.
- The firm supports the Black Law Students Associations at the University of South Carolina and the Charleston Law School and sponsors their annual banquets.
- Julie Moose serves on the Board of Directors for the South Carolina Women Lawyers Association and as a representative to the ABA Section of Litigation Women's Advocate.
- Kristen Nichols received the 2017 South Carolina Women Lawyers Association Emerging Leader Award.
- Reggie Belcher served on the Defense Research Institute’s Diversity Committee.
- Reggie Belcher served as the Diversity Chair for the boards of directors for the Sumter Society for Human Resource Management and the Columbia Society for Human Resource Management. Mr. Belcher also serves on the board of directors for Work-In-Progress, which is a non-profit organization that provides job coaching for individuals who have suffered from a mental illness or disability.
- David Cobb and Harriet Wallace are graduates of the Riley Diversity Leaders Initiative, which is affiliated with the Riley Institute at Furman University.
- Kristen Nichols and Nickisha Woodward are graduates of the Leadership Academy of the South Carolina Bar.
- Turner Padget sponsored the Influential Women in Business Awards, in which Elaine Fowler was honored for demonstrating professional excellence and leadership.
- Turner Padget sponsored the Girl Scouts Annual Women of Distinction Awards Dinner.
Turner, Padget, Graham & Laney is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce, including attorneys and support staff, and conducting business with diverse clients.
The firm broadly views diversity as all differences that make us unique and special—life and work experiences, culture and beliefs, race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, marital status, religion, education, military service, and other distinguishing characteristics and aspects of life. The firm strives to foster and maintain a culture that values and embraces these differences so that our diversity strengthens and improves the entire organization.
All employees share the responsibility for creating a workplace that values and respects diversity and inclusion and is enhanced by openness, trust, teamwork, accountability, and involvement.
The firm encourages everyone to contribute their unique perspectives, backgrounds, and capabilities to maximize client satisfaction, maintain strategic relationships with business and community leaders, create a unified and personally rewarding team culture, and generate superior business results.