Retail trade ranks as one of the top service industries in South Carolina. The strength of retail trade is interlinked with economic fluctuations and increasingly burdened by federal and state regulation. In order to sustain long-term growth, members of the retail industry need to be mindful of broad economic trends, their direct market, and the regulatory framework that increasingly dictates business opportunity. Companies in the retail industry need counsel with extensive experience with federal, state and local laws that can impact their business, from business opportunities to insurance matters to legal disputes. They also need counsel with a keen understanding of market issues.
The attorneys at Turner Padget work with companies throughout the retail industry in South Carolina, from suppliers, processors, distributors, retailers, restaurants, grocery stores, hotels and the businesses that support these industries. As a multi-service law firm, we can handle an array of issues retail industry members may face. Our transactional attorneys regularly advise clients on corporate planning, restructuring, acquisitions and stockholder issues. Our litigators have an extensive track record of successfully representing retailers in compliance matters and legal disputes. We also know how to effectively implement a response plan when a retail industry member is faced with a potentially damaging product or premises issue. From local retailers to national retailers with a local presence, Turner Padget’s retail clients get the strategic advice and counsel they need.
- Food safety issues
- Sampling and testing procedures
- Premises liability
- Regulatory compliance
- Media relations
- Crisis management
- Corporate planning
- Stockholder disputes
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Employment law
- Workers’ Compensation
- Real Estate
- Represented a restaurant in the largest Salmonella outbreak in South Carolina history involving over one hundred claims, multiple class actions and two deaths. Despite limited coverage, we were able to successfully resolve all claims through numerous mediations, settlements and court approvals while protecting the owners and the restaurant and allowing them to continue in operation.
- Defended a grocery chain in a weeklong jury trial in State Court in which the plaintiff claimed she was injured on equipment that the retailer had failed to repair despite knowing of its defective condition. The plaintiff further claimed her injury developed into complex Regional Pain Syndrome and she incurred over $615,000 in medical bills after further complications from her treatment-caused paralysis that lasted over a year. While the trial judge directed a verdict against the grocer on the issue of liability, our attorneys were able to limit the verdict to only $25,000.
- Negotiated settlements of multiple dram shop death claims arising out of an automobile accident involving the serving of alcoholic beverages to the at-fault driver.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national retailer in a lawsuit over the abduction and murder of a customer from a store parking lot.
- Represent numerous regional grocery store chains in premises liability suits.
- Defend numerous retailers from workers’ compensation claims made by employers.
- Assist retailers with leasing and property management concerns.